2012年2月6日月曜日

How To Ride Bike When It Snows Out

how to ride bike when it snows out

Time Smart Cycling: Disaster is Opportunity

"Disaster is Opportunity", Shane MacDonald, Bon Viveur
Have you ever been distracted from the task at hand by your need to get to work? Don't get distracted from your bicycle maintenance. That's just what I did last week and I ended in a heap, in the road on top of my bent and broken bike. I said ouch.

So what happened? I got distracted when replacing a pedal and only fixed it half way to the crank. The first time I stood on the pedal it flew off and span across the road. The bike said ouch.

Unfortunately for me, this mistake also broke the crank which needed replacing. The crank is connected to the chainset (which proved to be worn out), the chainset is connected to the chain (which needed to go so as not to damage the new chainset) and the chain is connected to the rear cassette (you get the idea).

My wallet said ouch.

But, disaster is opportunity as my splendid American friend used to tell me. If I needed to replace half the bike I might as well reconfigure it at the same time. I ride a Specialized Tricross which comes with a mountain-bike like gears. I was able to replace this with a new Shimano Sora chainset and cassette which has a ratio much more suited to road riding. Hopefully the ratio is also much closer to that I'll use for time-trialling later in the year.


Moto-Crossover
Learn more




I'm very grateful for the advice I got to make these changes from Brogan Hayes at JD Cycles, my LBS. The advice was good, the workmanship was great and it was all done several days quicker than expected. So, I thought I'd ask Brogan to be the first expert interviewed by project4cycling.

Q Tell us about your job

Well, as a JD cycles mechanic i help people out with not only basic day to day mechanics but do full bike strip downs and re-builds. I prepare quotes and specifications. I also put together bikes that need to be built up to go on sale in the shop.

Q You recently replaced the chainset, cassette and chain on my commuter. We decided that Di2 was probably a bit too much for me, but you recommended Sora and a different ratio. Why?

You had asked for the gearing to be slightly harder on the flats as you be getting fitter so we looked at your ratios. We kept the `easier` gears for the hills but put smaller sprockets on the hub to give you more power on the flat. More importantly this also gets you downhill FASTER too! We chose the Sora gears as they are reasonably cheap and are a very good quality.

Q I broke my own crank thanks to some dodgy home maintenance and crashed in a heap on the road. What's the biggest home-maintenance cock-up you've seen in the shop?


Weekend Explorer Mammoth, California
Learn more

Yours!! Seriously though, its normally people just putting pedals in to the wrong crank and also just not tightening up cables on gears and brakes. The biggest cock up was a chap, (no names, you know who you are) who to fit brakes pads dismantled the whole disc brake caliper ending up with 5 spare parts, oil everywhere and a red face when shown how easy it was to fit correctly.

Q I have no time to clean my bike as I ride every day for transport. If I find 15 minutes per week to clean and maintain it, what do you suggest I do?

Just wash it down with mild warm soapy water, dry it off and lube the chain. Simple.

Q project4cycling is about achieving goals in cycling and life. What are your goals?

I`d like to get into frame building. I would like to make my own brand of Mtb frames in the next year or so! I'm speaking to existing builders about the process of brazing and construction at the moment. Perhaps your readers can come up with a name?

Q What do you ride?

I ride all the shop demo bikes and get to ride every single bike i fix. I ride a Commencal Absolute 4x full custom build at the moment. If it snows I have a full custom ski bike. Yup, a bike with skis on it!

Q What would you like to ride?


A Yeti SB66 is in my sights at the moment, full custom build of course. It will use as many Hope & Fox parts as possible. I`m saving for a Rockshot Reverb at the moment. For all you non experts out there is a gravity drop seat post that allows you to change seat height. Id also like to be able to ride my Ski bike!!

Q Who are your cycling heroes?

Dan Atherton is great hero. Riding 4X and Enduro events the guy is a legend. Cameron Zinc is crazy, at last years Red Bull rampage he did a 360 on a 50ft drop. Insane. To do that you've to have big `cahoners` and style.

Q What's your top tip for bike commuters?

The biggest tip on the non-mechanic side is to `stay safe and stay bright`. On mechanics it would be to suggest to clean & lube. It may be that you want to try a single speed commute but if you want gears then go for a hub gearing system such as Rolhoff or Shimanos Alfine. These gears are in the rear hub and require little maintenance.

Q You are the first expert ever interviewed for project4cycling. Who would you like to interview?


In cycling it will have to be Dan Atherton. Last year he broke his back training and got back on to his bike as soon as he left hospital. Hes proper intense, didnt give up and was back racing & winning again within a year. In non cycling circles id like to `talk` with Jessica Alba.  :0)

Thanks Brogan. I look forward to seeing your own frames and your ski-bike. Ride safe.



These are our most popular posts: how to ride bike when it snows out

Time Smart Cycling: Disaster is Opportunity - Brogan Hayes Interview

The crank is connected to the chainset (which proved to be worn out), the chainset is connected to the chain (which needed to go so as not to damage the new chainset) and the chain is connected to the rear cassette (you get the idea). My wallet said ... Q What do you ride? I ride all the shop demo bikes and get to ride every single bike i fix. I ride a Commencal Absolute 4x full custom build at the moment. If it snows I have a full custom ski bike. Yup, a bike with skis on it! read more

Friday Group Ride #102 : Red Kite Prayer

Here on the Left coast it has been dry and sunny, perfect for this bike guy who gave up snow skiing years ago in favor of "dirt skiing" on my mountain bike. I just wait a couple of days after the rain, (no ... Its the early sunsets that also keep me off my bike during the week, confining me to weekends on the road and indoors watching Steephill.TV on the trainer during the week. I ride for fun. All miles for me are "base miles." I havent pinned on a race number in decades ... read more

Fat bikes pushing cycling into the snow — Maine Outdoors ...

Near the Freewheel Midtown Bike Center in Minneapolis, Minn., Tom Lais rides his fat tire bike to work five days a week, even in the snow. The "Sunday Snow-cial" rides are never canceled for inclement weather, even in the ... read more

Snowbiking sans snow bike

learn more learn more Snowbiking sans snow bike learn more learn more Snowbiking sans snow bike. I use 2.4 tires…the fatter the better. Bigger knobs are beneficial as well. How do you know when its safe or okay to ride in the snow? How do you ride in the snow? ... If your drivetrain freezes, you can fix it by stopping at the gas station and and rinsing off the drivetrain with a water bottle full of warm water. Be aware of your rear wheel. It will slip out from under ... read more

Related Posts



0 コメント:

コメントを投稿